Saturday, May 31, 2008

Pines, Peaks, & Peixe


In case you are wondering what "peixe" is, it is Portuguese for "fish". I couldn't think of any fishing lingo that started with "p" at the moment. Anyhow, David and I headed up to a small picturesque reservoir for an afternoon of fishing. Things started off slow but I found a spot where I kept getting consistent hits after I caught one small planter bow.


We were using crystal buggers in a size 6 which was probably a little big for many of the small mouths that were trying to eat them. I think I had some smaller buggers in my box but I was content because I was getting consistent hits. After a bit the hits died down and we kicked across the length of the reservoir looking for productive spots.


Until this point David had the skunk and I only had one fish with a few more on and a bunch of hits. We eventually made our way back to the spot where I caught my first fish. It was a good move because I started getting hits again. Then it dawned on me that we should trail a midge off of the buggers so our hook up rate would increase. This was the ticket although the next fish I hooked up with took the bugger. It was a nice looking little rainbow and I wanted a pic but he started flipping around on the apron of my float tube and threw the hook and flopped into the water. David was trying to help me and during the fiasco I managed to hook my trailing fly into the strap around my float tube and David got his leader wrapped up in his fins. A ton of effort that yielded no picture of the nice little specimen. Once we added the midge I started catching quite a few but for some reason David was not getting hits still. I had the hotter rod for some reason although he started getting hits and landed a nice little stillwater brown and a planter bow. Overall the day was great and the scenery could not be beat!








1 comment:

Leisa Hanks said...

I don't think I have ever seen two better looking fishermen.
The scenery is beautiful. Almost makes me want to go. ALMOST.
Fish On!