Saturday, August 2, 2008

Small Stream Gems

I decided to get up early and go do a little exploring. While larger rivers might have more and bigger fish, there is something magical about small streams. There is usually some degree of solitude and the small fish often seem willing to sample your offering. I headed up to a small stream that I had been wanting to fish and found a likely hole at my first stop. The casts on small streams can be tricky, if you call it casting. More often than not you are just flipping your flies no further than your rod length and often just lowering the fly into a likely spot. There were plenty of logs and branches around but I managed to avoid them for the most part.

After a few casts I had a little fish come up and smack my little yellow stimulator. To my surprise it was a wild rainbow trout!

I thought there would be brook trout in this little stream but subsequent casts proved that it was filled with little wild rainbows, at least this section.

After I caught a few of the little guys a "trophy" sized fish slurped my fly off the top. Look at the gorgeous coloration...

Ok, maybe the fish would not be considered a "trophy" on a regular sized stream or river, but for a pint sized stream this was a nice fish!

I can't wait to head back up here and do some more exploring. I'm starting to get addicted to small streams. All I need now is a shorter rod!



3 comments:

Leisa Hanks said...

Hey Ben is the place a secret? It looks like a nice place. I'm glad you got out to wet your line.

Ben said...

yes, its my secret new stream

Scott said...

Dude! I am a small stream addict!!! Try a 7'10" Sage TXL 2-wt... holy moly it's fun!!! I borrowed one from a buddy when I went to Colorado... What a blast! Where is this little gem?