Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Slayed Em'


Quite a bit of fishing has gone on since a few posts ago but only one of the days was noteworthy and I only have cell phone pictures of the good day. I was armed with the camera today though and I am glad I had it. I planned on doing some urban exploring around the river through town and at least get a few glam shots of my new reel on my rod, it looks awesome. The weather was great for winter although at the first stop I was still getting quite a bit of ice in the guides. I had no success at stop numero uno and then I remembered a deeper slow hole that the fish would probably be stacked in during the lethargic days of winter. A few casts at the new spot and I had a fish on. I was stoked but thought maybe it was a fluke. I set my expectations fairly low, but low and behold another fish on after a few minutes. Then it went gangbusters from that point on. A red copper john with a black zebra midge dropper was the ticket. I only fished at the second spot a little more than an hour but it was non-stop action. I caught over 10 fish and that number would have doubled if it were not for the slow hook sets/long line releases. Most were only about 10 inches but one probably went close to 15. I would have had a few that topped the biggest of the day but I did not get good hooksets on them. I could tell they were bigger because of the split second of dead weight before I moved them off the bottom. The ice in the guides was minimal and the warm sun felt great. It was a very rewarding and refreshing day to be outside.





No comments: