Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Urban Creek


I fished an urban creek recently.  In most areas it was easy to forget that I was surrounded by neighborhoods, businesses, and all things urban.  In many places the stream had very high banks.  Add to this the fact that it was heavily wooded and it felt like I was fishing far from the urban sprawl.  I heard a rumor this stream held smallmouth bass and that was my target species for the trip.  I began fishing a few good looking holes under an overpass.  No big fish but I ran into a pack of hungry green sunfish and creek chubs.  All the green sunfish I caught were pint size runts but eager to hit my fly.  The chubs were easily as aggressive and had a little more size to them.  Oddly enough they reminded me of small trout, just with squashed heads.

I worked my way downstream but most good areas I wanted to fish were hard to get to.  The banks often had 6 to 8 foot vertical drops, no way to get down or up so I moved on.  I came to another bridge and was able to access the river again.  I came upon two good size carp on a flat.  They were burying their faces and lazily working the flat sucking stuff off the bottom.  I placed a few casts in front of them but did not get them to eat my fly before I spooked them.  In the pic below there is a carp with its back out of the water.


 It is the thing that looks like a rock just breaking the surface of the water.  Below the bridge there was some good looking water with a little current to it but I did not get a hit from anything, strange.  Daylight was slowly fading so I headed back toward my car.  I want to return again sometime and see what I can find.

4 comments:

FishnDave said...

Good job on the Creek Chubs, Ben! There used to be some pretty large ones in there (8"-10"). The one in your picture is a good one.

Unknown said...

That's a great catch you have there Ben! Reminds me of what I caught in one of my fishing trips in Europe.


Kevin Snow
Ask About Fly Fishing
Visit Us At: www.AskAboutFlyFishing.com

JUN said...

Hello.
I'm Fly Fisher in Japan.
Your site is very great
Is very interesting.

JUN

Johan Silver said...

There are so many things to do in Dubai but i love Fishing in dubai