Friday, October 2, 2009

The Uintas

With memories of small slashing brookies filling my mind as the days grew hotter and longer I figured it was time for a day trip up to the Uintas to catch some hungry fish. We started the morning off at Trial Lake which is a heavy pressured roadside fishery. They keep it well stocked and there were fish rising all over the place as we pumped our tubes up. I decided I was going to take three rods out into the water: One set up with a dry fly, one with a sinking line, and one with a slip indicator/chironomid setup. David was testing his luck with a spinning rod to start out. Once I kicked out a little ways I started working the dry fly rod with instant results. David spotted some larger fish cruising underneath his feet so I then switched to the chironomid setup and suspended a nice orange chironomid (that I got in a fly swap) just off the bottom. After a minute or two I had a nice fish on. It turned out to be a very chunky rainbow that put up a great fight.

David was not having too much luck early on with his jake's lure and opted to troll a night crawler. David starting catching quite a few fish on his worm including a nice rainbow.
I let him use my dry fly rod off and on and he hooked up with several on the top as well. I spend quite a bit of time trolling or stripping in a bugger on my sinking line with no luck. I did have a few hits but that was it. It was surprising since I covered a lot of water and my fly must have passed by a considerable number of fish. I kind of wish I had my depth finder on board so I could see how much water was beneath me at any given moment. We both trolled up the shoreline and eventually we needed a restroom break in the trees so we beached our tubes. Afterward I spend a bit of time casting my dry fly in near the shore and many small fish were brought to hand including a first for me, a grayling! I also caught a red sided shiner (baitfish) which was funny. David caught multiple species as well including some brook trout and a beautiful little tiger trout.
Eventually we were satisfied with the stillwater portion of the day and decided it was time for some small stream brooky action. The little stream was beautiful with gin clear water, just the way I remembered it.
We worked our way up the stream and any good looking hole or run gave up a fish or three. David's first catch on the stream was a beautiful wild little rainbow that I wish we got a picture of, oh well. All the rest were beautiful little brooks decorated in a colorful regalia. It was a great day spent up in the highcountry and the hungry fish didn't disappoint.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Great blog! Just stumbled upon it today. Love reading detailed accounts of fishing, esp. in Utah.

p.s. I'm jealous of your pictures. I really need to get a new fishing camera.

Ben said...

Thanks for the comment, my posts have come to a halt since I have moved out of state and most water is all locked up here this time of year. I hope to kick things back into gear once summer hits since there will be open water again and I'll actually have time to fish.

Ben said...

Oh, as far as the pics go they are all from a point and shoot. Just get lucky occasionally and a few turn out ok.

Feather Chucker said...

Great post, my wifes gma lives in Ogden. We are trying to plan a visit for June. I'd love to hit the Uintas.