Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fishing Amongst the Corn

Well, I have been out in Iowa for over three months now and despite my school being extremely busy I managed to escape to a local pond over the weekend. I did get out once before school started and fished a small pond with a friend which was fairly productive. While not having much experience with warm water species on the fly we still managed to catch about a half dozen green sunfish on the fly, a woolly bugger to be exact. Anyway, the weather has turned cool and over the weekend I went to some ponds that lay just outside downtown. I saw a fish or two rise which got me excited. I tied on a trusty bugger and began working the water. After several minutes of casting I was just about to pull up my fly for the back cast when a flash of white came from the depths and hammered my fly. A quick and exciting fight yielding a beautiful little crappie. That was all I caught during my time on the water but it was a lot of fun. There is so much water to explore around this area. Once I get more time on my hands I will not have to go far to target a variety of warm water fish. I don't know the possibilities of catching warm water species during the freezing months that are approaching fast but I'll be sure to have a few good flies tied up for when spring rolls around. Thanks for bearing with the cell phone pics.


No comments: