Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Back from the dead

Between August 2009 through the third week in May 2010 I had been out fishing only twice! Thankfully that has changed since school has ended and hopefully I do not go through such a fishing hiatus again. My first year of graduate school was pretty brutal (time consuming) but the next 3 will not be quite so bad. After classes ended I really did not care where I fished I just wanted to get out so I hit a local lake to see what was there. I had a lot of fun. There were bluegill and crappie in close along the rocks. I started off fishing a warm water pattern called the breaminator that my friend Scott tied up for me. It was magic. For the first hour it was a hit or fish on about every other cast. They would hit it on the drop so to increase my odds I put on a micro indicator about four feet above my fly. I would strip a few times then let the fly flutter down and most often they would smack it on the drop. It was a mixed bag of bluegill, crappie, and a few green sunfish. At one point I was working the shoreline and something really smacked my fly and was pulling a lot harder than a bluegill or crappie. I thought it must be a bass but when I finally got the fish in I was surprised, a little channel cat. The same thing happened again a bit later and it was another little channel cat. They were a lot of fun to catch. Overall it was a great way to break myself back into the fishing lifestyle.





3 comments:

Bill Trussell said...

Hi Ben
Just found your blog and can relate to the bluegill and bass fishing on the fly. I too am an avid fly fisherman and love to catch trout, bluegill and bass on the fly. I am going to start following your blog because I think our blogs parallel each other. I enjoyed reading your post concerning the bluegill and crappie hitting the down fly. I am still working on getting the crappie to hit the fly on our local lake but after reading your post I will apply some the tips you have mentioned. My blog link is http://btrussell-fishingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ if you like to become one of my followers. Tight lines Bill

FishnDave said...

Is that top pic an orange-spotted sunfish? Blue Heron is the only place I've ever caught those. Beautiful fish!

Ben said...

Dave, I'm not sure about that fish, I just thought it was a green sunfish but is there a separate strain/species with the orange on them? Yeah, it was a beauty!