Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Gar Recon

I came across a backwater of one of the the area's major rivers and I soon observed a fish shaped similar to a pike but on closer inspection its true identity was revealed, gar! I did not know too much about the fish, only that it was toothy and could be caught on the fly. My friend out in Omaha who is now a warm water guru had shown me a pic of a gar he had caught on the fly. I had more exposure to the alligator gar which grow to mammoth proportions and are usually caught on bait in the south. The gar around here are related but don't grow to hundreds of pounds like their cousins. I did a little more research and recon and luckily found a gar mecca in the local area where I have fished twice for them already. I'll just say I will be targeting them often!

No comments: