Thursday, October 30, 2008

Surprise Ending

I headed out solo again with the intention of throwing a large double bunny in the deepest holes I could find in order to catch a hog. I am a newbie when it comes to streamers and I wanted to stick with it the whole day. I think it was too sunny and warm since there were no takers in my feeble attempts to dredge up a leviathan. I may have seen one follow but that was about it. After the first swimming pool style hole I headed up to another part of the river to hit a few more of the truly deep parts of the river. I was disappointed to find the first one occupied. I headed upstream to the second one...occupied as well. I didn't have enough time to head up or downstream looking for likely spots but when walking from the first to the second hole I noticed a slight depression that ran along the bank. It was small but I thought some fish could be holding in it. I switched to a nymph rig and after a drift or two I was delighted to have a little spunky rainbow on the end of my line. After releasing him the same thing happened on my next set of drifts, then the next and so on. This little run seemed chock full of rainbows. Since most of them were missing a few fins I think they were immature males coming out of the reservoir and staging for the upcoming spawn. Too bad I did not nab any hens which most likely would have been a bit larger. Regardless, it was a nice surprise ending to another slow day with the streamer.




1 comment:

Scott said...

Looks like fall has been treating you well. School is kicking my butt! I finally got around to doing something on my blog. Check it out!